Read PSI bin file

Dear All,

I’m unable to open PSI bin files with the Muon Analysis interface.
What is the correct procedure load this data file format?

Thanks,
Pietro

Hi Pietro,

Unfortunately, the muon interface doesn’t currently support loading bin files.
It can load muon NeXus files (from PSI or ISIS). Are you able to convert your data into this format?

Tom

Dear Tom,

I don’t have any means of converting my bin files to the NeXus format.

I do have some experience with this code

http://lmu.web.psi.ch/docu/manuals/bulk_manuals/software/Class_MuSR_PSI/index.html

but writing a converter would take some time.

Should I file a bug on github? (this was closed: Create a PSI muon file reader · Issue #6523 · mantidproject/mantid · GitHub )

Pietro

Dear Pietro,

Thanks - after looking into the history of this, it seems the original issue was closed when Mantid gained the ability to load v2 muon Nexus files. I’ve reopened the issue and will keep you updated with progress.

However, PSI have an application “any2many” that has been used in the past to convert bin files to Nexus - I wonder if this would help at all in this case?

Tom

Dear Tom,

I installed PSI’s musrfit which includes any2many (took one night to compile ROOT5 but that’s ok) and I was finally able to convert the PSI bin files to the Nexus 2 HDF5 format.

These files can be loaded in MantidPlot but they do crash the Muon Interface so they are quite useless.

I uploaded a couple of converted files here:

http://www.fis.unipr.it/home/pietro.bonfa/nexus1830.nxs
http://www.fis.unipr.it/home/pietro.bonfa/nexus1831.nxs

Can you please confirm the issue I’m reporting? If yes I’ll file a bug.

Thanks,
Pietro

Dear Pietro,

Thanks very much for this. I’m able to load your Nexus files into the muon interface ok here (using Mantid 3.6) - at which point do you see the crash, when trying to load or afterwards? Is there an error message or does it just freeze up? Which version of Mantid are you using? Also, do you have your facility set to SmuS? (Help > First time setup > default facility)

Thanks,
Tom

Dear Tom,

MantiPlot crashes just after I load the files in the Muon Interface (just after the window opened by the Browse button is closed)

Here’s how to reproduce the bug:

1. start MantidPlot
  2. Set SmuS and GPS
  3. Interfaces → Muons → Muon analysis
  4. Click Browse, select one file, press ok

Segmentation fault (I can give you the backtrace but it does not look very usefull)

Compiled git version from the brach which include GSL2 patch (cannot downgrade GSL, other packages need the new version). For this reason I’m asking to verify the bug before posting it on github.

Thanks for you support,
Pietro

Dear Pietro,

Thanks for the extra information.

It sounds as though the bug may be related to using GSL2, which is not yet fully supported in Mantid - though the next release (3.7) will support it. I suspect the crash occurs in the processing just after the file is loaded in the muon interface (probably removing the exponential decay, as a fit is involved here).

I’m going to try and reproduce the bug on a system with GSL2 installed, then we can raise it as a bug with the GSL2 patch.

Thanks
Tom

Hi Pietro,

Just to update, I think the bug is specific to the GSL2 branch - I don’t see the crash on master or other branches.

Tom

Further update:
I have replicated the bug on a system with GSL2 and added an issue. We’ll fix this as part of the work adding GSL2 support to Mantid, which will be in the next release (3.7).

Thanks

Tom

Thanks for these updates. I’ll stay tuned on the repo and I’ll retry as soon as new commits for the GSL2 package are pushed.

Bests,
Pietro

Hi Pietro,
We recently fixed a bug loading data in the muon interface and I can now load your files using the current master branch built on Ubuntu 16.04 (which uses GSL2). Hopefully this should fix the problem you were seeing.
Thanks
Tom